Wednesday, March 9, 2011

If I Can't Be a Doula...

This week was tough.  Last weekend I taught a CAPPA Labor Doula workshop to 10 wonderful women.  It had been an incredible week - busy but satisfying.  Then this past weekend I became ill with what turned out to be strep throat.  Really felt bad.  Tried to go to work on Monday then realized how very ill I really was.

A few years ago I had to make a tough decision - give up my lifes passion practicing as a full-time doula.  Jerry (my husband) had been so supportive of this very important work I did.  But now he was ill with heart disease and we were about to lose our health insurance.  We were paying over $1,000 a month for COBRA and it was running out - and of course no health care benefits as a doula.  So, I decided to go back to school and get my MicroSoft certificate and try to return to Princeton University - where I worked 20 years ago.

I just reached my 3rd year anniverary.  If I can't be a doula than this is the next best thing.  I LOVE my job but more importantly, I love the people I work with.  We are an amazing team and everyone is treated with respect.  Friday Jerry and I leave for Florida on vacation.  I was out ill Monday and Tuesday and instead of getting pressure as to when I would be coming back the Dean of my College wrote to me and said to take my time coming back and to only return once I felt well enough.  Knowing full well I will not be in on Friday and then all next week.  This academic year we lost our part-timer but still the people I work with are more concerned with my health than the fact that they will all have to cover for me while I am out ill.  Totally amazing!

They are also very supportive of my teaching and my work as a doula - respect it - and encourage me to do what I can around the constraints of my committment to a full time job.  Can't ask for better than this.

1 comment:

  1. I hope to find the right balance as it sounds you have, too. I "know" you from the CAPPA list serve. Hope you'll check out my blog, too at amigadoula.com

    I substitute teach currently in order to have a more regular paycheck and I continue to network and seek out new clients here just West of Portland, OR. I would love to be super busy w/ postpartum clients but so far that hasn't been the case in the past 9 mths. I've been dedicating time to it. I do love helping moms and babies, though!

    ReplyDelete